Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Humble Pie

Humility is so widely misunderstood by most people. In a world where "eating humble pie" is viewed as a bad thing, it's no wonder. My pastor says he's only found one correct definition for it that comes close to how the Bible presents it, and that definition is "down-to-earthness."

Humility is NOT being lowly, insignificant, servile, common. It's not thinking nothing of or wanting nothing for yourself. And most of all, true humility is never humiliating.


What Jesus treasures about true humility is that all pretense about who we really are is laid aside, and we admit and accept, in Christ, our true selves.
True humility is always honest and authentic, almost disarmingly so. In fact, rather than a yuck-tasting pie to be shoved down our throats, true humility is empowering! Because as we lay down our false defenses and empty excuses, it brings out the best in us. It frees us up to stop pretending to be something or someone we aren't, and allows us to really just be who we are. The difference between self-esteem and self-absorption is humility.


Yet sometimes, instead of resting and trusting in our God-given identities, we get into a frenzy of caretaking and misguided philanthropy to make ourselves feel better and to look good in front of other people. As a result, we become caught in the trap of self-centeredness, trying to make ourselves the center of someone else's universe. We tell ourselves how Godly we are, and practically break our arms patting ourselves on the back for how we do so much for so-and-so and man, they should be so grateful. Others, who see our deeds but not our hearts or motivations, most likely say, wow, isn't he or she just so great. But in truth, we are never more in desperate need of Christ than in those moments. Because we aren't being Godly, we're being selfish. You can tell the difference if you start to feel resentful toward those for whom you are "doing so much," and secretly feel you are trapped in a cycle where you give and give but never receive. 


Well it IS a trap. But it's almost always one of your own making. Getting trapped in giving your life away may have happened to you at some point in your life. You may be there right now. But STAYING there is a choice. It's something we do to ourselves. What's more, we trick ourselves into thinking we are so noble or "the bigger person" because of our actions or deeds. But it's really a supremely selfish way to live. 


It's not that it's wrong to do for others. But when we define who we are by this type of mindset and do it outside the strength and boundaries of God, it all becomes warped. Because it's coming from the wrong place. Consider these words from Jesus in Mark 8:


"He then began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, chief priests and teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and after three days, rise again. He spoke plainly about this, and Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. 


"But when Jesus turned and looked at his disciples, he rebuked Peter. 'Get behind me, Satan!' he said. 'You do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men.' Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: 


"'If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it. What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?'"


Points to ponder:

What negative things have you been told about yourself?
To what extent do you accept and own those things?
How do you rebel against those things?
What is it that you need from life and relationships that you aren't getting?
How is giving your life up to Jesus different from giving your life away to others?
How is being selfish different from simply being yourself?

True humility leads to a freedom and an authenticity that cannot be achieved any other way. Because it begins and ends with a total lack of any excuse, pretense or defense.
 


This is something I can explain to you, but I cannot understand it for you, because it must be experienced, personally, in Christ, or no matter how hard you try, you simply won't get it. True humility is impossible without Jesus. When you can say, unapologetically and without a trace of arrogance, "This is who I am, warts and all. Jesus has forgiven me, and I have forgiven myself. I still have a lot of work to do, but thankfully He isn't done with me yet," and mean it with your entire being, then you are at the start of something incredible. Magical. Wonderful. Amazing. Mysterious. And AWESOME. You are not only ready, but completely willing, to know and say, "Yep. I'm an idiot. But God loves this idiot, and He can heal me." At that point, get ready, because He will do just that. That is real freedom.


Perhaps you are resisting what I'm saying. Or you don't completely buy it. Or maybe you are just afraid of being wrong. If this is you, it's ok. Don't fret! Consider this funny little piece by Susan L. Lenzkes:


Don't look now, Lord! 

I don't want you to see me
standing here with my big foot
crammed in my mouth.

Don't worry, child!

If I didn't love you
just as much with your 
foot in your mouth,
I'd hardly ever get a chance
to love you.

Jesus said, "What can a man give in exchange for his soul?" I'll close by giving you one more point to ponder:


What are you trying to exchange your soul for today?


Dear Lord, there are not enough ways to express how many different ways I can be an idiot. I am blessed and beyond grateful that You love me anyway and that I am now, and will continue to be, a work in progress until You come for me. I love you and it is my prayer that anyone reading this will hear Your voice, feel Your love and acceptance, and either come to know You for the first time or come to know You even better than before. Amen.

+++++++++
This blog was inspired by the message my pastor gave this last Sunday at church. 

1 comment:

  1. I don't like how people use the term "bigger person" as if they are some sort of hero. It does smack of self centeredness and totally lacks humility.
    Nice work Jen.

    ReplyDelete