Thursday, October 13, 2011

Unlearning

You might not know it to look at me, but I'm kind of a nerd. I love to learn. I am a serious bookworm and have a voracious appetite for books, poetry and great music. I used to read the dictionary and make up games to use the words I had learned (true story). I still do this to some extent, just in a more modern way. The most frequently used app on my iPhone isn't Facebook or ESPN Scorecenter—it's Dictionary.com! I love to learn new things, entertain new concepts, foster new ideas, etc. I HEART my Thesarus! It's not just about the words, though. Basically I just love a really good story.

But that's just me. People are as individual as snowflakes when it comes to personal interests. But whatever those may be, I've come to realize that we are in a constant state of learning. Everywhere, all the time. Whether you are even aware of it or not, it's happening. (Kinda like gravity, yeah?) This is more true today than ever before, since we live in a world where we're bombarded with information. Our brains are like little computers that are perpetually ingesting, processing, filing and using or discarding information. Even when we sleep, we are learning. Our subconscious is playing with concepts and ideas and working things out that don't always make it to the forefront of our consciousness.

So why am I writing about this? Because if learning is constantly happening, that means we are affected by every single thing we see, experience, hear, say, touch. Our environments, circumstances and the people surrounding us are shaping us. Constantly. Ergo, every single moment that passes has a profound (and inevitable) effect on our lives and who we are.

Why is this important? Because it means that one must be both aware and intentional about this learning process. Like everything else in life, learning can be good or bad. Since I was unaware of it for a long time, I let a lot of garbage into my mind and my heart. Once I did become aware of it, I thought that the awareness was enough. I left it unguarded, and just drifted through life, aimless, allowing things to just happen.  I thought I was "flexible." I was really just reckless.

The result of all this was me walking around with a head full of knowledge that was doing me no good at all. I had learned so many destructive patterns of thinking and behavior that there was no room left for anything else. I had a trail of destructive relationships with people who were still living rent-free in my head.

I ignorantly thought more learning was the answer. I relentlessly pursued more and more knowledge, thinking if I just learned the "right things" that I would be able to effect a more positive outcome. Um, yeah. That didn't work out so well. This pursuit of knowledge and all the things I learned sure kept my mind busy. But it didn't do diddly to help me get well. In fact, it just made it worse!

Knowledge is power. That's true. But I had to accept that my thirst for knowledge had merely become an attempt to exercise power where I felt powerless. And it wasn't working.

The process of recovery is as much about UNLEARNING as it is learning. I had to unlearn TONS of utter nonsense. As you grow closer to Jesus during the recovery process, He will begin to transform your mind, cleaning it out and replacing the bad stuff with HIS stuff. All the things I thought I knew were WRONG. In fact, all that "learning" was getting in the way of a better life and coming between me and Jesus. So the first year or so in recovery was more about me unlearning everything… And I DO mean everything!

When I began recovery, it was messy and imperfect. And rudimentary! It's funny to me now but at the time, I basically just did the exact opposite of whatever I would have said or done in the past. Literally! If I got up in the morning and went without thinking to my closet and grabbed a black pair of pants, I would stop, then reach for a white pair of shorts instead. I resisted what came naturally to me because I didn't know how to do it any other way!

I wanted to "do something different." But all I had to go on at first was all the wrong information I'd amassed over my lifetime. So my unlearning started out as just doing the opposite of what I knew until I learned enough right stuff to replace it.

God was able to lessen the extremes of this along the way. But the real learning in recovery didn't happen until I was willing to UNLEARN first. When I stopped analyzing everything to death and trying to find an explanation for everything and just started LIVING THE PRINCIPLES of recovery, things started making sense. When I began to actually live the steps and principles of recovery in my day-to-day life, that is when I truly started to change.

My point is this: It takes faith to change. Faith isn't about what you KNOW, it's about what you BELIEVE. And what you are "learning" at every moment is shaping what you believe. Recovery and a true relationship with Jesus isn't a head thing. It's a heart thing… Faith. The craziest thing about faith is that when you are living it, it doesn't FEEL like faith! But every time you take a step that you wouldn't have ordinarily and take Jesus at His word, that is exactly what faith really is. (I had to unlearn that, too.)

Recovery helped me unlearn the things of my past so that I could live in the present and have a future to look forward to. And I choose to try and stay as aware and intentional in the learning as I can. I try my best to take GREAT care in choosing what people are in my life, what circumstances and situations I allow in, and try to channel every single moment of it toward the Lord. Occasionally there are times when I run into some illusion or notion I didn't even know I had, and I have to unlearn it. Then Jesus can teach me something that has real value in my life.

As usual, life and recovery and all of it are what you make of it. Garbage in, garbage out. Or, JESUS in, JESUS out! Don't sit idly by and allow yourself to learn whatever the world or life wants to teach you. Actively participate in the learning process and channel where it goes. Decide what you want to learn, and take steps to make that happen! In most cases, that intentional awareness will require you to see what you need to UNLEARN first!

What things are in your life today that you might need to UNLEARN?

"Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forward." (Soren Kierkegaard)
"I have come that they may have life, and have it to the fullest." (Jesus Christ)

No comments:

Post a Comment