Thursday, October 20, 2011

Life Matters

A VERY dear and wonderful friend of mine lost a close friend last week to cancer. My friend had basically been her friend's main caregiver for the last few years, but the activity kicked up about 10 notches in the last 6 months following the doctor's fatal diagnosis. "I'm sorry, there is nothing else we can do for you except to make you comfortable," are words no one wants to hear.

As you can imagine, my friend spent a great deal of time just talking to her sick friend about all kinds of things, and I know how difficult it was during this time. Yet she was incredibly brave and strong for her friend. And when she finally went Home, my friend handled everything like the champ she is. 

The following is an excerpt of writing by Michael Josephson. My friend chose this as one of the pieces that was read aloud at her friend's funeral, and she sent it to me today.

Ready or not, some day it will all come to an end. There will be no more sunrises, no minutes, hours or days. All the things you collected, whether treasured or forgotten, will pass to someone else. Your wealth, fame and power will shrivel. It will not matter what you owned or what you were owed. Your grudges, resentments, frustration and jealousies will finally disappear. So, too, your hopes, ambitions, plans and to-do lists will expire. The wins and losses that once seemed so important will fade away. In the end, it won’t matter where you came from or on what side of the tracks you lived. It won't matter whether you were beautiful or brilliant. Even your gender and skin color will not be relevant.


So what
will matter? How will the value of your days be measured?


What will matter is not your success but your significance that enriched, empowered or encouraged others to emulate your example. What will matter is not your competence but your character. What will matter is not how many people you knew, but how many will feel a lasting loss when you're gone. What will matter is how long you will be remembered, by whom and for what. 


Living a life that matters doesn't happen by accident. It's not a matter of circumstance but of choice. Choose to live a life that matters.


I shared the above piece of writing with you because a) it's really well-put and b) because I, too, attended a funeral this week (the grandmother of a coworker). As I sat during the eulogy service for this woman, I was awed by how many lives she had touched. So when I read the above excerpt from my friend, the words really stood out to me as I recalled listening just yesterday to how one woman lived her life in the exact way Josephson describes. Her life MATTERED. The evidence was in every laugh, every memory, every story shared by the people she personally touched. And not one single word spoken had anything to do with money or position or material things. All of these memories had to do with her sense of humor, her wit, her faith in the Lord and how she consistently asked about others and how they were doing in spite of how bad she was feeling.


I had never even heard this woman's name prior to attending her funeral. Yet the way she lived her life monumentally and directly impacted mine! Because she consciously chose to live in a way that MATTERED, she raised her children and grandchildren to live the same way. They grew up being taught how to live a life that matters, and as a result emulated her example, both personally and professionally. Because of this sweet lady, I (a total stranger) have a wonderful job working for a very cool boss who hires people and manages his team (MY team) according to this philosophy. So I sat there in the back of the service and said a little Thank You prayer to God for this woman whom I did not know but whose life had so clearly touched my own. She is greatly missed by those who did know her. Yet, like ripples moving across the water, she will live on through how those folks live because of the impact she had on them. And now she'll live on through me as well. 

The friend who sent Josephson's excerpt to me also lives this way. In fact, God has surrounded me with incredible people who all try and do this to some degree. My past is filled with time wasted on things that no longer matter, and I can't do anything about that. But what I CAN do is consciously choose to matter today.

If I can just do a mere fraction of what this woman, my precious friend and countless others God has placed in my path have done, then I will truly have lived a life that MATTERED... which it can only do as long as it glorifies Christ and makes a difference to others.

Who will remember you, and why? 
Choose to live a life that MATTERS! 
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Dear Lord, I pray for myself and for every person who reads this to give up and let go of all the little things we hold onto that, in the end, don't enrich our lives or help anyone. I pray that our eyes will be opened to the fact that every single thing we say or do resonates some sort of eternal chord. Whether or not that sound is cacophony or a sweet melody will come down to the decision we make about what really and truly MATTERS. It is my prayer that we will all come to the knowledge that nothing matters more than our relationship with YOU and whether or not we exhibited You to others by how we lived. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment