Monday, June 21, 2010

Reset

Sometimes you just have to take a moment to reset... meaning, clear your head, quiet your thoughts, reign in your emotions and just breathe. 


It all comes down to how you think... whether your heart or your spirit leads the way will be up to where you let your mind go. Always acknowledge what you're feeling, just don't ACT on it until you have a moment to pray and to think. But you can own your feelings and still be rational about them. It's taken me a long time to get that. Because I never took the time to put boundaries on my feelings or apply any logic to them. I assumed (erroneously) that simply because I felt it, it was rational. (I know that sounds stupid, but you'd be surprised how many of us do that, whether we realize it or not.) It's as silly as saying, "I think, therefore I am." "I feel, therefore it must be so." Or, "Gee, it's in the newspaper or on the Internet, so it must be true."


Amazing... what we feel in any given moment isn't really what drives us. It's what we THINK about how we feel. If you choose to focus on a hurt or a problem, your thinking about that pain is what causes you to act on that pain. Or whatever your feeling is. That is letting the heart lead. 


If, however, you own those feelings but instead choose to pray, to evaluate, to consider the options, then that is letting your spirit lead. But you are still thinking and making choices in this moment as well. 


In other words, either way, it's the mind that determines the course you take. Are you going to choose your heart or your spirit? But make no mistake, you ARE making a decision, whether you know you are or not.


All in all, so far, subjecting my mind to Christ and choosing to let the spirit lead is working well. It helps me to see whether I'm feeling and emoting and expending time and energy on things that are irrational or incorrect, or things that are true. If there are negative or painful emotions associated with truth, well... I'll choose truth over my imagination. At least it will be based on something solid.


Sometimes it might take you a second (especially if you need practice!) to make the spirit choices... that is what I'm calling the reset.


Don't knock it til ya try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment